After modelling 9 years, as a personal trainer, and soon to be nutritionist; you could say I know a thing or two about how to. achieve a healthy weight. Here's my hit list of do's and do not's when it comes to achieving your best body - easily.
- Track your movement using a fitbit or pedometer, aiming for 10,000 steps per day
- Monitor your steps with an accountability partner
- Do at least 10 minutes of walking or running outside within the first 30 minutes of being awake.
- Think of ways to integrate movement into your existing activities – walk and talk meetings, walking around a park instead of / following a social coffee, parking far away (purposefully) from your destination to increase movement
- Seek methods to increase exercise in your spare time, such as choosing active weekend activities instead of sedentary ones
- Get a standing desk for home, and encourage your employer to supply these at work
- Stay hydrated with water – for each 1 hour of exercise = +1L of water
- Encourage similar habits in your family, friends, children and partner
- Eat wholesome, nutrient rich foods to energise your movements
- Take a gentle walk at the end of the working day to signal the change your progression into your evening relaxation routine
- Ensure you have approximately 20-45 minutes of sweaty exercise scheduled 5-6 times per week; as to aid stress relief and also improve your weight balance
- Weigh yourself on a weekly basis to ensure you are within the healthy weight range; and if not; engage the support of a professional such as a nutritionist
- Overcompensate this exercise eating additional refined sugars or high calorie snacks such as nuts in excess. The recommendation of 10,000 steps, set by experts, is based upon a healthy, balanced diet – unless you are underweight, it does not require additional energy consumption
- Exhaust yourself to reach these targets – they aim to improve, not impair, your health
- Become obsessed with the numerical value on the scale
Need help sleeping? Sign up for my FREE 21 Days of Sleep Tips Series, highlighting a sample of the physiological, psychological and environmental changes you can make tonight to improve your energy levels, mood and concentration tomorrow. Or, email me at email@example.com to find out more about my bespoke online program, The Sleep Solution, and how it can transform your sleep, and restore you to your best self - inside and out.