I like to facts. You like facts. Here are some FACTS, as in, scientifically proven evidence, around sleep deprivation. The studies below class sleep deprivation as anything below 7 hours. SEVEN.
Note - If you would like me to share the scientific studies with you, please email me. I'll happily show you - it proves the research is based upon humans who are extremely similar to you - working too much, sleeping not enough and evidently, suffering immensely.
- After one-night sleep deprivation, individuals subjected to sleep deprivation reported a 35.5% decrease in energy, happiness, alertness and sociability (7)
- 37% more cortisol in the blood after ONE night of partial sleep deprivation (2) - heightened cortisol predicts acute illness and chronic conditions such as depression, anxiety, cardiovascular disease and cancer
- 45% more cortisol in the blood after ONE night of total sleep deprivation (2) - heightened cortisol predicts acute illness and chronic conditions such as depression, anxiety, cardiovascular disease and cancer
- Serotonin receptors are desensitized, which causes a lack of positive emotions and feelings of being ‘flat’. Dysfunction of this system is evident after 8 days of sleep restriction (4 hours). Recovery was only granted after 7 days’ normal sleep. Dysfunction of this system is seen in the pathology of depression and similar mood disorders (10)
- Those with an insomnia diagnosis are 9.82 times more likely to have depression, and 17.35 times more likely to have clinically significant anxiety, compared to those without (12)
- Chronic sleep deprivation causes the HPA axis to malfunction, which is responsible for the sequence of events within your fight or flight (stress) response. Because of this, you are more likely to react stronger to stressful experiences and perceive neutral stimuli as stressful. (11)
Need help sleeping? Sign up for my FREE 21 Days of Sleep Tips Series, highlighting a sample of the physiological, psychological and environmental changes you can make tonight to improve your energy levels, mood and concentration tomorrow. Or, email me at email@example.com to find out more about my bespoke online program, The Sleep Solution, and how it can transform your sleep, and restore you to your best self - inside and out.