I like to facts. You like facts. Here are some FACTS, as in, scientifically proven evidence, around sleep. The studies below class sleep deprivation as anything below 7 hours. SEVEN.
Note - If you would like me to share the scientific studies with you, please email me. I'll happily show you - it proves the research is based upon humans who are extremely similar to you - working too much, sleeping not enough and evidently, suffering immensely.
- A 2017 meta-analysis published in Neuroscience and Biobehavioural reviews reported that scientific studies consistently demonstrated sleep produced reduced attention span, long term memory and executive functioning (decision making, logistical organization, time management and self awareness) (9)
- Chronic sleep deprivation of 6h or less for 14+ nights results in performance of that of individuals suffering 48 hours’ total sleep deprivation (6)
- performance time after 17 hours of sleep deprivation is similar to that of an individual with a BAC of 0.05 (3)
- 29% of adults’ report work errors are a result of sleep problems, costing time and money to remedy (5)
- Simple reaction tasks take 10% longer, such as an individual decision, when deprived to either 4 or 6 hours of sleep. Given the thousands of individual simple reactions we make daily; this can lead to extreme lack of productivity and exacerbate time on tasks significantly (6)
- The brain detoxifies in deep sleep: as a result of cognitive processing, the neurotoxin beta-amyloid builds up during waking time. When we rest, the cerebral cortex expands in a manner that allows the removal of this toxin, thus allowing processing speed to be returned to normal. Without proper deep sleep, this neurotoxin builds up and causes memory loss and memory lapses (7)
- Learning is solidified in deep sleep: memory traces (links between different concepts) are consolidated in deep sleep; thus allowing us to cement our understanding between novel concepts. Without deep sleep, we cannot solidify these memory connections. (8)
Need help sleeping? Sign up for my FREE 21 Days of Sleep Tips Series, highlighting a sample of the physiological, psychological and environmental changes you can make tonight to improve your energy levels, mood and concentration tomorrow. Or, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about my bespoke online program, The Sleep Solution, and how it can transform your sleep, and restore you to your best self - inside and out.